Monday, October 22, 2018

Two Weeks Out



Photo from the last show of the summer with Chili.  Who would think that pesky left hip would be sliced open eight weeks later?

I officially had my surgery two weeks ago and I have to say, I have been doing great.

I read a lot (too much) information beforehand and had quite frankly ended up terrified.  Some folks having more pain after surgery and I really was wondering I had signed myself up for something I would regret.

But two weeks into this adventure, I have no regrets at all. Tomorrow I return to work and I have to say, I am looking forward to it.

Today I met with my surgeon and he was able to show me images from the surgery and give a better explanation of what he found.  Essentially, he was much more conservative and decided not to do as much "reshaping" or suturing as initially indicated on my imaging. He did remove a bunch of torn labral material, but left another portion which, while torn, is still smooth and laying in the correct location.  His feeling as a high performance person himself, is that suturing or provoking that part of my hip would possibly introduce a problem where that wasn't actually the problem (but it certainly was evident on my imaging!). 

The best part of my visit today was because I didn't have a lot of heavy hardware in my hip, I could be weight bearing and get wean off of my crutches, as long as I don't feel I need them to steady my gait.  Hurrah!

Hoping that I will be able to be in the saddle sooner than later.  I have a lot of plans hopefully for 2019!

4 comments:

  1. I'm getting caught up. Yours sounds like a complicated situation. I had to look up the medical issues you were having. I'm happy to hear that the surgery and recovery went so well. After two years of screwed up x-rays, one doctor finally took an image of the correct view of my hip, and it's basically history. My ball and socket are so ragged and cracked from osteoarthritis that I need a total hip replacement. The doctor said I'll never ride again, but once I recover, I'm still going to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't despair. I have met several equestrians with total hip replacements and they are back in the saddle in record time.

      I think finding an excellent surgeon is the first step.

      Sorry it took so long to get a proper diagnosis.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy everything went well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)