Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Testing the Waters



I have wanted to film a test to help support a local therapeutic riding center's virtual dressage show. I broached the subject to my coach who said I could borrow her German Riding Pony/Arabian cross gelding to practice riding a test on and could film one afterwards.

The pony is such a good boy. He's quiet and good natured, but not an overachiever by any means. He has schooled through some second level work and some movements above, but not much more. It's been enjoyable working on refining my aids for shoulders-in, baby walk pirouettes, and haunches in so that I have an idea of how it feels on a learning and unfinished horse. One of the issues I've had on an absolute schoolmaster is that often I get close or get the buttons "correct" without actually realizing it. I don't have a solid basis on how to continue and teach my own horse properly, only how to ride on a completely finished horse.

My coach suggested schooling through some first level tests to see how I would ride it. Surprisingly enough, I feel more comfortable schooling first level than worrying so much in training level. Apparently I have so much time to sit and pick at the horse in training level and if there is enough to keep myself and the horse busy, I can actually sit down and ride and do something besides trying to pull down and out on my left rein. Go figure right?

I had the chance to school through first level yesterday in the full court in the outdoor arena. My geometry at times as been questionable, so it's been a focus to try and ride figures more accurately. I was quite pleased that I rode much better and my circles were more circular and less tetra-octa-hedral-something.

This was the first time I have ridden the Pony in spurs, so it was a little bit of getting used to both him and I on the process. While I have used spurs while riding the schoolmaster Morgan stallion in my past, I have not recently schooled much in spurs and I also have a tendency of trying to use too much heel and not enough calf while riding. I am not sure Pony always appreciated the learning process, but he was still good about it. He is a bit different to ride than Chili as he has to think, process, and then responds to the aids instead of being quick and anticipatory like my spicy little Arabians.

I am still fine tuning on how to ask for the canter depart. He can be a little heavy on the forehand and behind the leg and I just want to plain nag him if he doesn't immediately canter when ask. Unfortunately, this frustrates him, he throws his head, and then kerplops onto his forehand in a not so graceful depart.

The rest of our first level work was quite satisfactory and I am fairly impressed that I had a very nice lengthened canter and trot on him and he comes down into working gaits equally. While I have been playing around with asking for more power from Chili, I am not always quite convinced she is going to come back down after encouraging so much more forward and power.


A very fat Chili this past winter

So all in all, an excellent time practicing and schooling through first level. I am hoping to try and squeeze in a lesson soon so I can finally get a test filmed. The virtual tests can often be quite educational since the judges can freeze-frame and write much longer and detailed comments.


I'm hoping soon enough Chili will keep on rehabbing and perhaps we can practice and run through a first level test soon enough on her. Otherwise we'll keep schooling and here's to 2021 goals. :)

1 comment:

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)