Sunday, December 4, 2016

Puddles of Red

Today was one of those days that didn't go exactly as planned.

What I had planned:
  • Wake up
  • Brew a cup of coffee and sit around not moving
  • Shovel snow
  • Eventually go to barn, organize my tack, and ride a horse or two

How my day actually went:
  • Wake up to phone ringing.  It was my barn owner
  • Emergency situation with Donni
  • Attempt to find clothes.  Realize I need warmer clothes as it's snowing
  • Call veterinarian
  • Wait for veterinarian to come through said snow
  • Organize tack
  • Hold horse for veterinarian
  • Eventually go home and finally get that cup of coffee
  • Go back and see horse again
  • See non-injured horse and forget about riding today



    She should be OK. She missed injuring the tendon sheath.  There was a "flap" in the laceration and when that was picked up, the blood just absolutely started pulsating and squirting out, where the blood vessel had been punctured. 

    The laceration itself is fairly straight and horizontal, so the decision was made not to suture as it is in a high tension and higher movement area and there would be the possibility of pulling the sutures out. 

    She is in a fairly thick bandage which is applying pressure to the wound and hopefully enabling the wound to begin closing and healing.  Stall rest to ensure the bandage stays dry as this type of bandage system shouldn't be changed daily unless there begins to be drainage.  It was a fairly "clean" injury without much debris, so in some cases, it's good just to close up the injury and just let nature do its thing.

    I also learned today that my veteran, combat hardened husband apparently couldn't stand seeing my horse in distress with large puddles of blood about.  He checked in on the situation, saw the blood, and then felt ill and left. 

    I am grateful though that he did stop in and check.  I am also very thankful that the barn owner and family really did step up and did what they needed to do to stop the bleeding and to lend a helping hand during the vet visit and getting everything ready for her stall rest.  It's such a good feeling to be in a place that goes above and beyond for the care of their (accident prone) horses.

8 comments:

  1. Eesh, horses! Glad she's going to be okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic! It's always hard to say with leg injuries and her age, but she's a tough bird.

      Delete
  2. Oh Donni. I'm glad she didn't do any major damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Poor girl. That is not how you want to spend your day. Sending thoughts for a speedy and complete recover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek! Not a good way to spend a Sunday! Glad to hear she's going to be fine. Yay for the husband giving it his best shot hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor guy just didn't know what to do. I think men are softies for animals and it was a little too much for him.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)