Monday, October 31, 2016

10 Questions for October

Borrowed from Viva Carlos

What do you consider “jumping high” for yourself?

Totally not very high.  Also, this was taken in 2009. 
I don't really jump.  To be honest, just jumping over two feet is enough for me.  I occasionally jumped higher in university.  If I had a horse that was well schooled in jumping, I would jump more.



What are your short term goals for riding? Do you think you’ll reach them?

I'm hoping to show at Regionals this next year.  Achieving a regional title under saddle would be great.
I'm optimistic, but you never know.  A lot can happen between now and next June.


Long term goals for riding? Do you think you’ll reach them?
My longer term goals would be to return to Sport Horse Nationals.  I had the immense fortune of showing a friend's stallion and got reserve national champion.  I want to go back with one of my own horses next.

I'm sure I will return, just not sure when.  Finances are a major thing in my life.  Unfortunately horses are super expensive (no kidding).

How many barns have you been at in your riding career?
I've boarded at quite a few.  Several were where my undergraduate university was and then more when I settled into where I currently live.  Six or seven barns sounds about right.  I talk to most of my former barn owners.  :)  Just had different needs at different times.

How many different trainers have you been with in your riding career?
This is the Semi-Feral page.  I've never been in a "program" so to speak.  I have a wonderful gal that I've taken lessons with, but it's dependent on finances, so not currently so often.  I also have received some driving lessons in starting to get Chili going in harness.  A former barn owner was an eventer, so I had lessons from her.  :) 

I've ridden in two clincs: one with Tommy Garland and the other with Jec Ballou.

Ever worked at a barn? What did you do?
I have done barn chores at a couple of barns.  One barn had a variety of stallions, so I helped handle them.  Now, there are pretty strict rules on compensation, so I am careful to remain inside the amateur guidelines.

Scariest thing that has happened at your barn?
I had a stallion that was just a nasty beast.  I glanced away for just a second and he grabbed and picked me up by the scarf. I am not sure what happened to him as I think the owner pass him along to some other soul down the road.  He was an HYPP Quarter Horse stallion who had shown quite a bit in halter.

Have you ever given a lesson? What level was the rider?
I taught at a summer camp for probably eight years or so.  It was primarily everything from raw beginners to students starting to learn the basics of lead changes.  I also did lots of trail rides for children and the public.

Usually on horses that had their own opinions on what they wanted to do.

What is your opinion on the accuracy of critiquing riders online?
If it's not dangerous, then I don't think people should really comment.  Abuse is one of those fine line things.  I get frustrated and can't stand the individuals riding the Big Lick Tennessee Walking Horses, but when people are against anyone over 150 pounds on a horse, then where is the line?

I don't have great equitation, but don't (knock on wood) usually come off horses, so I am sure people would have a field day on how I ride.  It's a work in progress, which I clearly understand.  Feedback from a random armchair quarterback isn't constructive.  Someone that has been in my shoes and can tell me how to keep from dropping my left shoulder would appreciated. 

What is the ideal height of a horse for you?

I am not a fan of tall horses, which is ironic, given I am not a small person.  I prefer being in the 15.1 to 15.2 hand range and wide enough to take up a lot of leg. 

Donni is 15.1.  Chili is just about 15 hands if I had to guess.  I had the girls standing side by side the other day and they are pretty close.  However, Chili is much more narrow than Donni.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! People make it look simple, but not so much, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Bad-mannered stallions scare me :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. I don't usually get scared, but just aggravated. I've probably only handled/worked with about 20, but I can only think of two offhand that were truly -dangerous-. One Paint, one the aforementioned Quarter Horse.

      I've had some plain old regular geldings that terrified me. One would run across the paddock and then wheel and try to double barrel. At least the stallions were always jerks in general, but not outright conniving like these geldings.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)