Friday, May 26, 2017

Registration Data

I am on plenty of horse groups regarding my chosen breed and a frequent topic of conversation is how do we increase registrations?  Breed participation?  Reduce costs?

Inevitably, the conversation steers to how the shows are too expensive, registration is too expensive, the horses are too expensive, and so forth.

This evening, while taking a break from (poorly) painting my bathroom, I decided to look more closely at what various registries charge to registry foals.

Before anyone gets up in arms, the chart below assumes a few things:
  • Foal in question is six months old
  • DNA must be done on the foal
  • Registration is done via snailmail
  • Breeder is a member of the parent organization
  • Foal is conceived via shipped semen


The Gypsy Vanner registry I used is GVHS.  The Curly registry is ABC. 

Do any of these breeds surprise you?  What do you feel is a reasonable registration fee for a young foal?

1 comment:

  1. I am frankly surprised Gypsy is so high. TB I can understand why its high (racing) and AQHA is so low (so horses, so many disciplines)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)