Sunday, March 28, 2021

Remaking an Equestrian

 

Part of my realization these last few months is that I have been neglecting my own health. At first, I just thought it was my mental well being and obviously my occupation and the drag on those involved in the medical industry was pretty taxing.

But then I started to realize that I was putting off my own physical health. My hip pain after my surgery in October of 2018 had been worsening. It's been to the point that when I get on the horse, I usually spend the first five to ten minutes in two point just to relieve some of the stretch and pull on the affected hip.

I finally pulled the trigger and saw the orthopedic surgeon again who thought that I was overusing the hip and to take it easy. OK then. Probably not that then.

However, I did see a new rheumatologist since my previous one is retiring. This new provider was the first one that I felt like has really seen "me" in a long time. She thought that no, being pain free is not a realistic goal, however, she thought that a referral back to physical therapy was a good idea. She also had a textbook she was going to bring to my laboratory with a physical therapy regimen for others with Ehlers-Danlos like myself.

True to her word, she did drop off the textbook and I have dutifully begun my physical therapy sessions again. I have been in physical therapy off and on for twenty years, but for the first time, the whole goal is to stabilize the whole person and an emphasize on the body mechanics and knowing where the expected range of motion is.

One of the highlights from that first PT appointment is that I stand wrong. I apparently have always hyperflexed and locked my knees to stand instead of stabilizing with my quadriceps. I practice at work being mindful of this while standing around and I have to admit my quadriceps are sore! Who knew that actually standing correctly is difficult? ;)

The other major takeaway is that my elbows are very unstable and so I have always used the grip of my hands to stabilize what the elbow should. This makes sense as I often struggle with too tight of a grip on the reins and being inconsistent in the contact. I soften with the hand, but I cannot maintain connection through the elbow: there's been no tension since the collagen and connective tissue is way too lax and I haven't properly strengthened those muscles to try and help stabilize the joint itself.


So I am looking forward to more of 2021. I am working on establishing treatment plans with my physical therapist and have been feeding this information back to my riding coach (who has a strong interest in biomechanics and as a former nurse, knows anatomy!). Together, we have started making some different plans on how to continue to strengthen what I have and to improve communication with my horse.

Semi Feral Equestrian 2.0 coming right up in hopefully in six to twelve months of this PT plan!

5 comments:

  1. I’m glad that you are prioritizing your physical health. I believe that physical and mental health are connected. I wonder if some gentle yoga would help too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I actually have done a bit of yoga from a local gal who has her doctorate in physical therapy. It's equestrian yoga.

      One of my issues though is I have no concept what a normal range of motion is though and so often extend beyond past normal and end up stretching or injuring connective tissue. So I have to be extremely mindful with yoga and what type. :)

      So I am hoping to combine additional strengthening work with proprioception and just training to recognize what "normal" should be and to build strength in those positions. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope it's a big improvement for you. I did a lot of PT last summer, and found it made a huge difference in both my everyday movement and my riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PT for everyone! I think it's great and really undervalued by a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. It can be so, so tough to remember to prioritize ourselves and I am glad that you are.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)