Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Pushing Boundaries


I'll admit it. I can be a weenie, especially as I've gotten older, out of shape, and had hip surgery.

It's crazy to think that just a few years ago, I rode anything and stuck anything. Gallop a couple miles bareback on a strange horse while gathering up a herd of horses. Sure, no problem.

Now, that sounds like certain death. With my lack of core strength, it probably would be.

One thing I had pushed off for a while was riding in the large outdoor at my new boarding barn. Part of it was pragmatic. The indoor arena was quite cooler and temperatures were hot and sticky for several weeks.

But enough was enough. I had to push out of my comfort zone and just pony up and ride in the outdoor. Chili was an absolute idiot at the last barn in the outdoor arena. I think there were several factors, including that trailers were parked adjacent to the outdoor so there could be people popping in and out, lots of strange shadows, and all that baloney. At the far end, there was a large burn pile that sometimes was burning and other times smouldering.

I got to the point at the old barn that I could sometimes reasonably walk and trot at the near side of the outdoor arena, but I could never get her to relax the tension in her back and canter most days was more of a death wish as she would want to bolt and startle at every shadow.




Anyway back from my digression into our previous issues. The outdoor at the previous barn lead to myself not routinely schooling in the outdoor arena. Trail riding was fine and being outside in general wasn't an issue, but being out of a smaller indoor arena seemed difficult. This lead in a self-perpetuating loop where I would expect issues in a large outdoor arena and then Chili would fulfill my expectations in a not so appropriate manner.

The weather turned quite lovely the past few days here. I decided to just take the leap and ride the horse. I can reasonably sit most anything she has and the fact the new arena is fenced was very promising.

I lunged Chili for a few minutes and she was quite unenthusiastic about moving faster than a slow trot. I didn't have a lunge whip, so I didn't press the issue. I hopped on.

She was perfect. She plunked along through the mud on the drain-off side of the arena, she didn't glance at the shadows, and she barely flicked an ear at the horse on the other side of the fence who was rolling.

I know it's something simple, but my goodness. Is my horse growing up? Am I just lucky? Maybe she likes this new barn?

Probably a combination of all above.

But in the end, pushing the boundaries and the nagging fear I had has opened up a whole new door again for me. I feel so relieved that I am comfortable riding outside without someone who could call 911 if necessary.


4 comments:

  1. Dante was really spooky at our last barn and is definitely a lot chiller at the new one - sometimes they grow up, sometimes they just stop hearing weird noises lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop hearing weird noises. I love it. I would have no idea, but that's probably a valid reason why some ends/areas are scarier. I can usually see the movement (ie cats or kids running on/out of doors or hay storage), but I imagine the noise is unsettling even if they can't see the gremlins.

      I figured having more turnout at the new barn helps too! More time to burn off their own stupid.

      Delete
  2. It amazing how we fall into those self-fulfilling prophecies. I know I do all the time. I sometimes wish I had a memory problem so I wouldn't do that. :)
    I believe that spooking in areas can become a habit- the horse starts to believe that they this is where they spook. Moving can definitely fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I feel that my horses have often watched other horses spook at certain ends of the arena while we travel or at a new barn and learn that's supposed to be the "scary end".

      This last move I tried to be proactive and lunged and carefully rode with some brave horses the first few times inside. One end of the arena definitely can be "scarier" as there is hay storage/chickens/cats/children/farm equipment moving in and out of the end, but so far, so good. No issues thinking it's scary like some of their settled counterparts.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you like. I love hearing from readers and would like to know that I am not always talking to myself. ;)